Wednesday 18 May 2016

Ms United Nations 2015 Yanique DaCosta Jamaica


Name: Yanique Nissan DaCosta

Title: Ms United Nations 2015 Jamaica.

Name three words or phrases that best describe you.Determined. Spiritual. Compassionate.

Name three different words or phrases that you think someone else would use to describe you. A good listener. Meticulous. Confident.

Describe any special talents that you may possess. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why

Where do you see yourself in 10 years and how do you plan to get there?
I never put limits on what a person can achieve in any given amount of time, simply because life is so unpredictable. However – professionally speaking – in 10 years, I would have achieved a Master of Science Degree in International Relations as well as gained fluency in Spanish, French and Mandarin via immersion programmes. All of which would have aided my career in Foreign Service.

How did you get started doing community service projects and activities?
I started doing community service at a very early age as a member of Builders Club at Wolmer’s Preparatory School. However, when I became Mini Miss Jamaica 2001 at 8 yrs old, I undertook a lifetime project of uplifting the Chevannes Basic School in the innercity of Standpipe, Liguanea.

How much time do you currently devote to volunteerism?
Volunteerism is a daily aspect of my life as the current Chairman of the Chevannes Basic School. I am an Associate of the Franciscan Sisters at the Immaculate Conception Convent & Hostel where I assist in their outreach ministry at least once per month for the past 6 years. I have also supported the National Child Month Committee in its projects during Child’s Month (May) for several years. Most recently, I have become a member of a charity organization called Volunteer Nation which makes education its core component, whether it is the enhancement of youth or instilling awareness of mental illnesses, among others.

How do you usually find the community service projects and activities that you participate in within your community? I surround myself with persons that have the same enthusiasm for volunteerism, who inform me of projects and how I can help. Working in media, I have access to information about organisations and causes, as well as their needs. Charity organizers will also approach me in order to get support by means of time, talent or treasure.
What was your favorite community service project and why? Describe what value you think you brought to the project.

My favorite community service project is the Yanique Nissan DaCosta Scholarship whereby I donate two (2) full scholarships to the Chevannes Basic School annually since 2002. These scholarships are awarded to the two least fortunate students of the graduating class to ensure a smooth transition into primary level education. Each student is recommended by the teaching staff as having potential to succeed academically granted that they have financial security. Throughout my academic career, several individuals invested in my education and are now able to see their belief in my potential bear fruit. I simply want to give the children at Chevannes Basic School the same opportunity.

How do you plan to use your title to help others within your community? With my title, I intend to garner support for the different charity organisations that I currently assist as well as for causes that come to my attention– be it time, talent or treasure. I also intend to raise funds for further infrastructural development of the Chevannes Basic School.

Describe why you think you would be the best representative of United Nations Pageants LLC as Ms. United Nations 2015?
I believe I would be the best representative as I have a passion for philanthropic work while being very professional and humble. I make it a point of duty to learn something from each person I come in contact with to broaden my perspective on all aspects of life. I also wish to be the change I want to see in the world and would use the title of Ms. United Nations for greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment